BJ Fogg is a behavioral scientist with deep experience in innovation and teaching. At Stanford University he runs the Behavior Design Lab and also teaches his models and methods in graduate seminars. On the industry side, he trains innovators to use his work so they can create solutions that influence behavior. The focus areas include health, financial wellbeing, learning, productivity, and more.
BJ has a new book, Tiny Habits: The Small Changes that Change Everything, which came out today, on December 31st, 2019.
To learn more about Tiny Habits, visit tinyhabits.com.
In this episode BJ and I discuss:
- How Greek philosophy inspired BJ to study persuasive technology
- Why BJ’s early theories on the future of technology earned him poor grades and puzzled looks
- What common modern practice will be seen as low-status behavior in the near future
- How people can adopt new behaviors even when they lack the motivation to change
- The three strategies that add up to BJ’s Tiny Habits behavioral change method
- How BJ learned to get over failure and keep trying new things
- How overcoming compulsive snacking taught BJ empathy toward others
- How you can use the Tiny Habits method to untangle your own unwanted behaviors
Resources mentionedRhetoric by Aristotle Mobile Persuasion: 20 Perspectives on the Future of Behavior Change, edited by BJ Fogg and Dean Eckles
I’ve been ecstatic about the early reviews. The book was named a “must read” by Susan Cain (NYT Bestselling Author of Quiet), “endlessly fascinating” by Daniel Pink (NYT Bestselling Author of Drive and A Whole New Mind), and “bursting with practical insights” by Adam Grant (NYT Bestselling Author of Originals).
If you pre-order the book, you’ll get digital access to the book to read on your favorite device within seven days of your pre-order. That means you can start reading it months before the book is released to the public.
You’ll also get pre-order bonuses worth at least 10 times the cost of the book. You can check out the bonuses at rocketsciencebook.com.
Click here to see a list of popular streaming services and our step-by-step guide on subscribing, listening and reviewing the show!